Monday, January 23, 2012

Family Meeting Part II

Here are some things that we decided:


List of Commitments/Experiments

Personal:

  • Walk or Ride bike on any errand two miles or less from home
  • get back to riding my bike on even longer trips (to school, etc.)
  • reduce my use of packaging
  • Pay attention to my general consumption (food, clothing, personal care products, etc.)
  • Turn off lights/computer/tv when I leave a room
  • Grab a sweater and/or blanket if I get chilly rather than turn up the heat
  • do a better job of using food we have in the fridge and pantry and being creative with leftovers
  • remember my reusable bags when I go shopping
  • utilize used goods whenever possible

Family

  • turn off lights during dinner and eat by candlelight
  • have a eco-Sabbath beginning for one hour on Sunday afternoons
  • set thermostat to 65 in the winter (still negotiating for summer)
  • set ourselves up for composting
  • go back to using cloth napkins and help Tom with laundry
  • Devin has pledged to limit computer and game time to one hour per day on the weekdays and 1.5 hours per day on weekends
    He has also promised to help watch Noah so that I can do more errands by bike or on foot.
  • All pledge to turn off lights when leaving a room
It should be interesting to see how we do.  Tessa especially looked like she was going to get hit by a brick.  But she seemed to be on board with the changes we've agreed to.  There is still a lot more that we can do.  But this is a good start.  Wish us luck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment