Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Saturation


This gets exhausting after awhile.  You reach a point of saturation.  And this stuff is really important to me.  I've never been to Yosemite but I know the feeling of smallness and exhilaration that McKibben talks about, that matchless combination of feelings that comes from being in raw nature.  I cherish wilderness.  I've seen a bear in the wild and camped in the winter.  But there comes a point where you just can't take any more dire predictions and prophetic urging.  For me, today, I think it happened when McKibben was describing a totally human manipulated earth.  It was such a depressing and hopeless image for me - and not that far away from where we are now.  When you pass that tipping point, you begin to lose the energy for action, you feel like you can't read another article on Mother Earth News about composting toilets or solar water heaters.  You begin to feel trapped, helpless, hopeless.  Maybe we all need to walk through that place - come to a full acceptance of how far this has gone and exactly where its headed - before we can truly make a commitment to change.  To do more than recycle and buy organic every once in awhile.  I don't know.  I suspect we have to walk through that more than once.  Maybe many times.  Maybe that still won't be enough.   With the little energy I have left . . . I pray that it will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment